Monday, July 14, 2008

My Marathon of Pumping

I have been pumping full-time now for almost 11 months. We are not talking once or twice a day, but enough times to establish a milk supply and provide enough milk to feed 2 babies for the first few months of their lives (about 7-8 times per day). I was hoping to get both babies breast feeding before leaving the hospital, but unfortunately Ashlyn was not able to orally feed until she was 6 months old. By that time, it was too late to introduce the breast and she would only take the bottle. And so the pumping continues! I made the decision early that I would provide breast milk for her as long as I was giving it to Caelan, because I want them both to have the same benefits that it provides. My views about pumping have changed dramitcally over the past few months though and I no longer hate it like I once did. It is, however, extremely time-consuming, especially since I can't feed the babies at the same time. My routine consists of feeding Caelan by breast, pumping for Ashlyn and then feeding her by bottle. I have been pumping so much that I have actually worn through the motor on my hospital-grade electric pump...I am sure not many people have done that! Luckily it was warrantied and I received a brand new pump. I plan on continuing this routine until they are at least one year old for their corrected age (December), but at least with the introduction of solids last month, I have been able to cut my pumping time in half. I think I am through the tough part and am pretty proud of myself for persevering.

One other note: For those of you that can't breastfeed...many people talk about the strong bond that mom and baby develop as a result of breast-feeding. I just want to say that I do not feel a stronger bond with my breast-fed baby than I do with the one that is bottle fed. The bond is the same and it makes no difference!

7 comments:

lewis fam said...

Thanks, Marsalie, for sharing this! I found it so interesting and informative! What an amazing story of perseverance you have to share with all your children as they grow older and encounter tough spots...especially as they become parents themselves!

Your babies (all 3!) are so beautiful...absolutely heaven sent! Thank you for so openly sharing their/your stories!

=) Lynda

Aimee said...

Good for you for BFing & pumping! You're one awesome mommy! I luv BFing and am so glad I stuck it out for the first hard 2 weeks before Natalie got the hang of it. = )

M-B M. said...

mars..holy smokes! i pump for chase two days a week when i am at my office, and it's something i loathe! so, i am astonished at your perserverence...seriously. but even on the worst day, it's totally worthwhile...look at our nice babies!

Louise and Gary Chapman said...

Wow. You are amazing and I admire your determination.

Anonymous said...

You *should* be proud - what amazing dedication! Lucky, lucky babies. They're growing up so beautifully, Marsalie :-D

All my best to your adorable family
- Melissa (mommy of Rowan, the twins' former roommate at Childrens')

Shaun and Holly said...

Amazing Mars!!! You are a wonderful mommy!!!!!

Holly

Unknown said...

Well done, you! Your commitment shows your knowledge of truly how valuable your breast milk is for your babies.

I also find it interesting the lack of a difference in the bottle vs breast-fed baby. I personally think there is something special about knowing your child is consuming YOUR milk - regardless of how they get it - and I wonder if this plays a part in the bonding as well. All that work is an expression of love for your cuties and will definitely pay off - as I'm sure it already has.