Thursday, September 20, 2007

Birth story


Many people have asked me about my birth story, so here goes....
I went in for a routine ultrasound at 24 weeks to check the growth of the babies. I was actually working at the hospital that day, so I had planned on quickly getting it done during my morning break and then heading back to work. My day did not go as planned.
After checking the babies and finding out that we were going to have both a boy and a girl, the technician checked my cervix to find out that I was already 4 cm dilated and had bulging membranes (i.e. the amniotic sac had moved very low and had entered the birth canal). She ordered me not to move and I was quickly admitted to the hospital. I had no contractions until the stress of being admitted...I just happen to be one of those women that deliver babies very quickly (i.e. only 2 and a half hours for my first baby). Contractions did start in the labor and delivery room while we were being asked if we would like the doctors to save the babies (very stressful!). I was given some medication to relax my uterus , as well as steroid shots and antibiotics to give the babies their best chance.
My contractions stopped and I spent 2 nights on the labor and delivery ward with my head tipped below my feet. The idea was to take as much pressure off my cervix so that I wouldn't dilate any further. This was the position I would stay in for the next 12 days. I was not even allowed to raise the head of my bed to eat and there were definitely no bathroom priveleges! Once up on the prenatal ward, I was told many stories about women who had lasted many weeks with a dilated cervix, so I was able to relax. I wasn't worried and thought that I would be able to carry the babies for many more weeks.
On the night of the 12th day of bedrest (26 weeks and 1 day gestation), I started feeling some minor cramping. I thought they might go away, so I tried to ignore them. Unfortunately, after about 15 minutes, they were getting very regular. I quickly found out that I was 8 cm dilated, so I was rushed back downstairs to the labor and delivery room. Caelan was in a hurry and was coming head first, but Ashlyn was high and lying tranverse (sideways). The doctor did not want to risk a breech extraction with such a small baby, so an emergency c-section was performed. I was only able to see the babies for a few seconds before they rushed them to the NICU.
They are now at 29 weeks gestation and we are so thankful for the care they have received. We can't wait until we can bring them home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your birth story. I'm always so curious about the births. I've been checking up on your blog and your "prince and princess" - they are so adorable! Your family is in my thoughts and prayers, Marsalie.

Our baby is coming at the end of October! You'll have to check for pics on our blog!

Alissa Dueck

Louise Chapman said...

Oh wow Marsalie, thank you for sharing about your experience. I can't believe you were just going in for a routine check and then ended up being in bed without getting up at all for 12 days AND having to deal with stressful questions/decisions etc. Your little ones look so cute and I'm glad to hear that they are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Praise God for his blessings to our family!!!

Grandpa Fred

Rachel said...

Thank you too for sharing your story. God really seems to be bringing you peace in all of this. All of you continue to be in my prayers.
Rachel